UPDATE: Deadline EXTENDED to Monday, October 12th at midnight!
Date limite PROLONGÉE à lundi le 12 octobre à minuit!
COCo is looking for a Community Technology and Web Development Intern under the Young Intern program, coordinated by Communautique
Who We Are:
The Centre for Community Organizations (COCo) promotes social justice, active citizenship, democracy, and just socio-economic development in Quebec by supporting the growth of healthy organizations and strong communities. COCo is a provincial, non-profit organization that works primarily with English-speaking, bilingual, and ethno-cultural community organizations. COCo works within a collaborative structure where all team members are responsible for a variety of tasks.
Commun-IT is a project of COCo that focuses on the use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) by English-speaking community groups in Quebec. We aim to guide, support, and empower community groups to improve their technological capacity and autonomy in order to better realize their missions.
COCo is hiring a Community Technology and Web Development Intern. This is a 6 month position at 30 hours/week, starting October 2015 and ending March 2016. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required. Salary: $19.91/hour, with the benefits of working in a flexible, creative, non-traditional work environment.
Selection Criteria: The candidate must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the time of application
- have taken or be currently taking courses at the post-secondary level
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person having the status of refugee in Canada and have the right to work in Canada; and
- not receive EI benefits while participating in the internship
- not have already participated in a past Young Intern program.
Tasks and responsibilities:
Working in a collaborative team environment, the Commun-IT Community Technology and Web Development intern is tasked with:
- Assisting in the coordination of Commun-IT contracts:
Conducting assessment meetings
Evaluating existing ICT situations with a critical eye to the needs and realities of community groups
Updating the CRM database to ensure proper tracking
Assessing websites and performing technology audits to make concrete recommendations
- Developing, researching and assessing ICT services and tools
Aiding in the development of strategy documents in ICT planning and strategy
Assisting in the development of an organizational ICT self-assessment tool
Organize and aggregate existing Commun-IT ICT tools; identify knowledge gaps
Update and augment the Commun-IT website
Test and report on comparative analyses of ICT platforms, tools and software for community groups
Providing training and coaching related to Information and Communications Technology for COCo member groups
- Work with other Commun-IT staff to provide ICT services in web development
Prepare mock-ups and storyboards
Develop website architecture in WordPress
Assist in the development, layout and editing of content
Design the layout as well as site structure and graphics/animation
Modify basic WordPress code or themes as needed
Install website analytics
Research & perform SEO optimization
Research & perform basic security hardening
Research, apply and/or integrate different cloud computing platforms in project, contact, or file management
Aid in the development of an online impact tracking tool
- A high level of spoken & written English & French
- Demonstrated work or volunteer experience in the community sector
- Demonstrated experience with the one or more of the following areas of communications and technology:
- E-strategy and Communications Planning
- Branding and Marketing in the non-profit context
- Graphic Design for Web and Print
- Constituent Relationship Management (CRM)
- Social Media and Website Management
- Working with Mainstream and Alternative Media
- Interest in developing skills in facilitation, popular education, creating accessible tools, and workshop development;
- Knowledge of, and relationships with, the English-speaking, bilingual, ethnocultural and francophone community networks;
- Exemplary team-player who enjoys sharing tasks, working collaboratively and building capacity within the team, while still being able to work autonomously;
- Ability to work in a responsive, flexible and creative work environment;
- Strong critical analysis abilities from a social justice perspective;
- Work experience collaborating with other creative / communications / tech professionals
- Experience developing and maintaining websites using the WordPress CMS
- SEO skills
- Experience with Salesforce or Nationbuilder platforms
- A good knowledge of other organizations and initiatives in the not-for-profit tech sector
To apply, please forward:
– Your CV (in the language of your choice)
– Your cover letter
– NB: Candidates selected for an interview will also be asked for their web portfolio
As an organization that works to facilitate social change and the empowerment of diverse communities, COCo recognizes that living under marginalization and oppression often brings both challenges and valuable skills and perspectives. People of color, people with disabilities, women, Two-Spirited, queer people, trans* people, and other candidates who experience marginalization are strongly encouraged to apply and to self-identify in the application. We are committed to creating an organization as diverse as the communities we serve.
Deadline for applications: please email your application to email@example.com by midnight, Monday, October 12th 2015. While we thank you for your applications, only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.