This is a permanent, full-time position with a probationary period of 3 months.
Anticipated start date: mid-October 2017
Salary: $27,500-30,000 per year commensurate with experience.
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 10 AM to 6 PM (flexible); occasional evening and weekend work is required
Language(s) of work: Excellent oral and written English; intermediate oral and written French; knowledge of additional languages will be considered an asset
Location: #708, 460 Sainte-Catherine Street W., Montreal (near McGill and Place-des-Arts metro stations)
Benefits: paid leave during office closure for 1-2 weeks in December/January, in addition to 10 days’ paid vacation per year; 6 days’ paid sick or personal leave; flexible schedule; professional development support
ELAN (English Language Arts Network) is a non-profit organization devoted to helping Quebec’s English-language artists connect with one another, with their francophone colleagues, and with audiences in Quebec, Canada, and internationally. Our members include artists and organizations representing many artistic disciplines and regions of Quebec. ELAN encourages an evolving Quebec identity that celebrates social, cultural, and artistic diversity.
Over its 13-year existence, ELAN has developed a strong membership base and community, including professional artists and cultural workers, organizations, students, and friends. Sharing information, developing resources, and offering networking opportunities are a crucial part of ELAN’s service to artists across Quebec. In conjunction with our Communications Plan and Inclusion Policy (to be developed in 2017-18), ELAN seeks to:
• improve our offering of relevant information through our website, social media and email newsletter;
• develop new events and resources to support and connect artists and cultural workers; and
• nourish strong collaborations with fellow organizations who offer support and information to artists.
With these goals in mind, the Communications and Outreach Coordinator will maintain and develop ELAN’s internal and external communications and visual identity, while growing our reach and responsiveness to our members and community. The successful candidate will be encouraged to contribute their ideas and creativity towards this work.
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator will report to ELAN’s Executive Director and work on a day-to-day basis under the supervision of ELAN’s Program Manager. The Communications and Outreach Coordinator will also work closely with ELAN’s Communications and Inclusion Committees, student assistants, and project managers to respond to the needs of English-speaking artists of all disciplines and backgrounds in Quebec.
• Maintain ELAN’s website, email newsletter, and social media networks (Facebook and Twitter), including developing and writing content, soliciting and editing contributions, and coordinating translation.
• Review and update communications systems and materials (editorial calendar, website text, etc.) in conjunction with ELAN’s Communications Plan and Inclusion Plan (to be developed in 2017-18).
• Set communications targets in collaboration with ELAN’s Program Manager and Communications Committee.
• Update and maintain ELAN’s Communications Plan and manuals.
• Monitor and report on statistics using Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and other tools.
• Research and recommend improvements to communications channels, outreach, and events.
• Plan and promote regular events for ELAN members and community (1 per month on average).
• Nourish relationships with partner organizations to produce events, develop resources, and offer networking opportunities for ELAN members and community.
• Develop and implement outreach initiatives to groups that are underrepresented in ELAN’s membership and projects.
• Develop and implement specific communications campaigns in conjunction with special projects, outreach efforts, etc.
• Participate in hiring of temporary student Communications Assistants and supervision of their work.
• Contribute to grant writing and development of revenue-generating initiatives.
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator will implement ongoing communications and outreach campaigns, through digital communications (social media, website, email) and other channels. Research, writing, and communication through email, by phone, in person, and online will be involved.
• Post-secondary education or equivalent experience in communications, marketing, arts and cultural management, arts administration, general or fine arts, office administration, social sciences, or business.
• Excellent oral and written English; intermediate oral and written French.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word), email programs (e.g. Thunderbird), databases.
• Familiarity with one or more of Adobe Photoshop, Mailchimp, WordPress, and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite).
• Excellent writing and editing skills, incorporating creativity, critical thinking, and careful attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
• Good organizational skills, ability to prioritize and multi-task.
• Resourceful, with creative problem-solving skills, and the capacity to work autonomously.
• Ability to link day-to-day tasks to overarching goals and targets.
• Knowledge of or proven interest in arts and culture or Quebec communities.
• Experience with outreach in the non-profit sector.
• Experience or deep understanding of challenges facing artists who experience marginalization.
• Experience with event planning and promotion.
• Graphic design skills.
• Experience with fundraising, grant writing, and/or development.
• Knowledge of languages other than English and French.
We encourage candidates to highlight additional qualifications they feel are relevant to the job description, including non-traditional skills and experience.
Unfortunately ELAN is not located in a fully accessible building. There is a wide doorway at the front entrance, and five steps in the lobby leading to the elevators. There is a cement ramp at the back entrance which leads to the elevators. There are wheelchair-accessible washrooms two floors below ELAN’s office. For further information, call 514 935 3312 or email email@example.com.
How to Apply
Apply by Friday, September 15, 2017.
Please email the following materials to Amy Macdonald (Program Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org:
• CV/Resume in Word or PDF format
• Cover letter in Word or PDF format
o In your cover letter, please detail your interest in the position, and highlight your qualifications as they relate to the position.
• Optional: samples of previous communications work (e.g. social media posts, press releases, articles, websites, graphic design work, etc.), or links to samples of your work online
We appreciate the time and energy candidates put into this process. We will contact all candidates by late September to update them on the status of their application.
If you have any questions about your candidacy, or if you would like assistance, please call 514 935 3312 or email email@example.com.
ELAN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and newcomers to Canada), and from all groups who experience marginalization. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter if they are comfortable doing so.