Whether it be between staff and board or two employees, disputes that arise in an organizational context can be major stumbling blocks, spreading disharmony and tension that can at times lead to untenable situations. COCo offers a variety of services related to conflict resolution, including conflict mediation.
Our approach to conflict resolution is one where we help provide the container or space for conflict to be resolved, but where the participants create and own the results and agreements that come out of a conflict resolution process. We also try to bring an anti-oppressive lens to our conflict resolution work, and understand that systemic oppression is often an important factor in conflict resolution.
- “Thanks COCo! The mediator was a magician! The staff mainly involved in the situation are like a brand new team.”
Conflict prevention is by far the least expensive way to resolve conflict on your team: before it even starts! Our conflict prevention workshops can involve things like:
- Understanding your individual conflict styles and how they interact with each other
- Understanding the possible sources of conflict in your organization and how to ‘dig deeper’
- Practicing giving each other feedback and developing a stronger feedback culture
- Looking through your existing conflict resolution policies and procedures or developing them together
Mediation is a process that allows smaller groups of people to resolve issues in their working relationship. Conflict mediation involves:
- Individual meetings with the participants
- If possible, group meetings with everyone involved
- If the mediation is successful, written agreements by the participants about how to move forward
- Coaching individual participants throughout the conflict (conflict coaching) to help them better understand or better resolve the conflict themselves
The earlier you get mediation, the easier it is for us to resolve the conflict.
Group Conflict Resolution
As a group experience conflict gets bigger, the strategies we employ to support your organization get more complicated. Group conflict resolution processes can include:
- Large group conversations about an ongoing issues
- Smaller mediation processes for subgroups
COCo also creates online resources related to conflict that you can explore at your own pace. You can find all of our resources here, and here are a few recommendations to start:
By Phone: (514) 849-5599 | toll free: 1 (866) 552-2626
By Fax: (514) 849-5553 | toll free: 1 (866) 560-2626
3680 Jeanne-Mance, #470 Montreal (QC) H2X 2K5
Monday – Thursday 10am – 4:00pm
Please make an appointment with us by phone or email, as we are not able to receive drop-ins.