This is a new, permanent, full-time position.
Anticipated start date: Late October/early November 2018
Salary: $38,000-50,000 per year commensurate with experience.
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 10 AM to 6 PM (flexible); occasional
evening and weekend work is required
Language(s) of work: Mainly English and some French
Location: #708, 460 Sainte-Catherine Street W., Montreal (between McGill and Place-des-Arts metro stations)
Benefits: Paid leave during office closure for 1-2 weeks in December/January, in addition to 10 days’ paid vacation per year; 6 days’ paid sick or personal leave; flexible schedule with compensatory time is offered; professional development support
ELAN Quebec (English-Language Arts Network) is a non-profit organization devoted to helpingQuebec’s English-language artists make connections with one another, with their francophone colleagues, and with their audiences in Quebec, Canada and internationally. ELAN currently employs four full-time, permanent employees and several part-time employees. (www.quebec-elan.org)
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Administration and HR Manager is responsible for ELAN’s administrative functions ranging from budgeting,payments and grant writing to organizing some meetings and events. The Administration and HR Manager oversees efficient organizational operations and systems, and will include for HR responsibilities. This new position will encourage individual creativity and provide room for growth.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Good written and oral communication skills in French would be an asset.
- First rate budgeting and financial skills.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience in arts administration, arts and cultural management, general office administration, marketing or business.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in operations/admin management in a not-for profit environment.
- Effective administrative, organizational and reporting skills.
- Proven grant writing experience
- Experience in human resource management, staff workplans and annual evaluations.
- Solid interpersonal communication and ability to collaborate to achieve goals.
- Resourcefulness and ability to work independently, with creative problem-solving skills.
- Good computer skills with email, word processing, Excel and databases.
- Ability to work harmoniously with board members and a large, diverse general membership.
- The ideal candidate would have experience working with a non-profit cultural organization.
Duties of the Administration and HR Manager include:
- Responsible for budgeting, grant writing, reporting on program and project activities,and overall financial operations of the organization.
- Prepare invoices and other documents for bi-weekly visit by bookkeeper; prepare documents for annual audit.
- Responsible for ROEs, bank deposits, petty cash etc.
- Sign cheques as necessary (holds signing authority).
- Provide administrative support to Executive Director.
- Support ELAN’s board: scheduling meetings, preparing documentation, taking minutes, and ordering refreshments
- Maintain lists of committee members and committee mandates.
- Prepare staff meetings and strategic team check-ins.
- Develop staff policies in collaboration with executive director and board.
- Compose and circulate job descriptions, schedule interviewing and hiring of new staff (particularly temporary student and Emploi Québec positions).
- Conduct annual & semi-annual staff review in collaboration with executive director.
- Develop staff workplans in collaboration with executive director.
- Facilitate internal staff communications (team meetings, Slack, Google docs, Google calendar, etc.)
- Maintain (and regularly update) staff policies and internal documentation, including creation of functional office manual in collaboration with staff.
- Coordinate general office needs: supplies, cleaning, filing, maintenance of computers and other
- Monitor ‘admin’ email account; respond to messages or forward emails to appropriate
- Organize public events including schmoozers and ELAN’s Annual General Meeting.
ELAN is not located in a fully accessible building. There is a wide doorway at the front entrance, and five steps in the lobby leading to the elevators. A cement ramp at the back entrance also provides access to the elevators. Wheelchair-accessible washrooms are available two floors below ELAN’s office. For further information, call 514 935 3312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
We are accepting applications immediately. Interviews will begin the week of October 8, and will continue until a suitable candidate is found.Please email the following materials to Guy Rodgers(Executive Director) at email@example.com:
- CV/Resume in Word or PDF,
- Cover letter in Word or PDF format.
In your cover letter, please detail your interest in the position, and highlight your qualifications for this position. We appreciate the time and energy candidates put into this process and will begin contacting candidates on October 5 to update them on the status of their application. If you have any questions about your candidacy, or if you would like assistance, please call 514 935 3312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELAN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and newcomers to Canada), and from all groups who experience marginalization. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter if they are comfortable doing so.