Anticipated start date: April/May 2019
Salary: $38,000-50,000 per year commensurate with experience.
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 10 AM to 6 PM (flexible); occasional evening and weekend work is required.
Language(s) of work: Mainly English and some French.
Location: #708, 460 Sainte-Catherine Street W., Montreal (between McGill and Place-des Arts metro stations)
Benefits: paid leave during office closure for 1-2 weeks in December/January, in addition to 10 days’ paid vacation per year; 6 days’ paid sick or personal leave; flexible schedule with
compensatory time is offered; professional development support.
ELAN Quebec (English-Language Arts Network) is a non-profit organization devoted to helping Quebec’s English-language artists make connections with one another, with their
francophone colleagues, and with their audiences in Quebec, Canada and internationally. ELAN currently employees four full-time, permanent employees and several part-time employees. (www.quebec-elan.org)
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Administrative Manager is responsible for ELAN’s administrative functions ranging from budgeting, payments and grant writing, to organizing some meetings and events. The Administrative Manager oversees efficient organizational operations and systems. This position will encourage individual creativity and provide room for growth.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Good written and oral communication skills in French would be an asset;
- First rate budgeting and financial skills;
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in operations/admin management in a not-for profit environment;
- Proven grant writing experience with arts funders: Canada Council, CALQ and
- Montreal Arts Council. Experience with the Department of Canadian Heritage would be an asset;
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience in arts administration, arts and cultural management, general office administration, marketing or business;
- Effective administrative, organizational and reporting skills;
- Solid interpersonal communication and ability to collaborate to achieve goals;
- Resourcefulness and ability to work independently, with creative problem-solving skills;
- Good computer skills with email, word processing, excel and databases;
- Ability to work harmoniously with board members and a large, diverse general membership;
- The ideal candidate would have experience working with a non-profit cultural organization.
Duties of the Administrative Manager include:
- Grant writing: Canada Council, CALQ, Montreal Arts Council, the Department of Canadian Heritage, Young Canada Works, Emploi Québec;
- Budgets for core operations and projects;
- Financial and activity reporting for program and project activities;
- Responsible for overall financial operations of the organization;
- Prepare invoices and other documents for bi-weekly visit by bookkeeper; prepare documents for annual audit;
- Responsible for ROEs, bank deposits, petty cash etc.;
- Sign cheques as necessary (holds signing authority);
- Provide administrative support to Executive Director;
- Support ELAN’s board: scheduling meetings, preparing documentation, taking minutes, and ordering refreshments;
- Maintain lists of committee members and committee mandates;
- Prepare staff meetings and strategic team check-ins;
- Develop staff policies in collaboration with executive director and board;
- Facilitate internal staff communications (team meetings, Slack, Google docs, Google calendar, etc.);
- Maintain (and regularly update) staff policies and internal documentation, including creation of functional office manual in collaboration with staff;
- Coordinate general office needs: supplies, cleaning, filing, maintenance of computers and other equipment etc.;
- Monitor ‘admin’ and ‘finance’ email accounts; respond to messages or forward emails to appropriate staff member;
- Organize public events including schmoozers and ELAN’s Annual General Meeting.
ELAN is not located in a fully accessible building. There is a wide doorway at the front entrance, and five steps in the lobby leading to the elevators. A cement ramp at the back
entrance also provides access to the elevators. Wheelchair-accessible washrooms are available two floors below ELAN’s office. For further information, call 514 935 3312 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
We are accepting applications immediately. Interviews will begin early April, and will continue until a suitable candidate is found.
Please email the following materials to Guy Rodgers (Executive Director) at email@example.com:
- CV/Resume in Word or PDF format
- Cover letter in Word or PDF format
* In your cover letter, please detail your interest in the position, and highlight your qualifications for this position.
We appreciate the time and energy candidates put into this process and will begin contacting candidates on April 8 to update them on the status of their application.
If you have any questions about your candidacy, or if you would like assistance, please call 514 935 3312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELAN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and newcomers to Canada), and from all groups who experience marginalization. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter if they are comfortable doing so.