Santropol Roulant is hiring!
Communications and Design Summer Intern
Santropol Roulant is seeking a motivated and creative student to help us celebrate our 20th anniversary.
Santropol Roulant uses food as a vehicle to break social isolation between generations. Creatively and collaboratively, we strengthen and nourish our local community with our novel approaches to active community engagement, youth leadership, food security and social inclusion.
This year, Santropol Roulant will be celebrating its 20th anniversary. To mark this special occasion, we will host an event that brings to life all of the elements of our vibrant community: social inclusion, food security, intergenerational community and education for sustainability. We will be showcasing our programs and services, offering workshops on a variety of topics related to food security and sustainability, and creating an opportunity for the neighbourhood to come together.
The Communications and Design Intern will work closely with the Communications Coordinator to develop and implement a communications strategy for promotion of the event as well as create materials related to our 20th birthday that will be showcased during the event. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop their skills in outreach, event organising, collaboration with partners, and organisational history research. They will also gain skills in working with different generations, using social media, and engaging the community, all in a bilingual environment. They will benefit from mentorship in the context of an organisation that values leadership development in young people.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Participate in the process of identifying and clarifying the vision of the event
- Create a communications plan to promote the 20th Anniversary event, in collaboration with the CommunicationsCoordinator
- Design online and offline promotional materials and ensuring that they reach the targeted public (e.g. posters, graphics forsocial media, press release, etc.)
- Develop and create a physical Timeline that showcases the past 20 years at Santropol Roulant, in collaboration with theCommunications Coordinator
- Find innovative ways to bring the history of the organisation to life before, during, and after the event through activitiesand social media.
- Help prepare our office and space for the event
- Reach out to event partners and media, in collaboration with the event organization committee.
- Assure that volunteers and partners are thanked for their participation after the eventWe are looking for candidates with the following skills, experiences and interests:
- Strong communication skills in English and French
- Skills in design and a creative flair, and comfort using design tools such as Photoshop, InDesign, Gimp, etc.
- Experience with communication campaigns
- Comfort with social media
- Comfort with working with deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Passionate about intergenerational community building, sustainable development, social inclusion, accessibility, food security and a desire to inspire social change
Contract Details :
This is an 10 week, part-time position (30 hours / week) beginning May 18th and going until the end of July, with an hourly remuneration of $12 / hour.
**PLEASE NOTE** The position is a Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages (YCWBOL) contract. To be eligible you must be a full time student this year and be returning to full-time studies in September 2015; and you must be between 15 and 30 years old. We especially encourage students with residential addresses located more than 125 km from Montreal to apply.
As an organization that works to break social and economic isolation and bring people together across social barriers, Santropol Roulant recognizes that people who experience structural oppression and marginalization have a lot to offer our community. People of colour, those recently arrived from other countries, people with disabilities, women, two-spirited and queer people, trans people, and other candidates who experience marginalization are strongly encouraged to apply and to self-identify in their cover letter. Our primary office space is step-free and has an accessible washroom, but our second floor, rooftop garden and basement are not wheelchair accessible. This position in particular does not pose any major challenges to those with reduced mobility. Please contact Stephanie if you have any questions about the accessibility of our work area or your participation in an interview process. Students with disabilities are eligible for a reduced work week.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter and if possible, a portfolio or examples of design work by email or in person to Stephanie Childs at 111 Roy East or rh(at)santropolroulant.org by Monday, May 4th at 9am. Candidates will be contacted only if they are chosen for an interview. For more information, contact Stephanie at 514-284-9335, write to stephanie(at)santropolroulant.org, visit our website or come and meet us at the office.