Job Posting – parental leave replacement
About the NDG Food Depot
Founded in 1986, the Depot is a community-based non-profit organization that works
collaboratively with its community to address the root causes of hunger and poverty in NDG and
the surrounding areas in a manner that ensures dignity, community engagement and the
development of human potential.
At the Depot, we offer programming to support the food security and healthy eating habits of
youth, families and individuals. These activities include community meals, kitchen workshops,
after-school programs, gardens and farmer’s markets.
We are currently looking to hire a creative and qualified Community Chef with a passion for
knowledge sharing and good healthy food to head the food preparation, transformation and
preservation for our community meal program. This is a contract position (parental leave
replacement) for 5.5 months.
The Community Chef Position
The Community Chef will work with staff and volunteers to plan, cook and serve food for our
community meals, and special events. Our twice-weekly free community meal reaches between
150-250 vulnerable people each day and occasional events serve between 30 and 100 people. .
● Creatively use purchased and donated foods to make well balanced, delicious and easily
replicable meals for 200 people twice a week
● Ensure the consistency and excellence of meals produced according to the Depot’s
● Provide leadership, organization and planning for a team of staff and volunteers to
prepare and serve nutritious food
● Organize kitchen training and operations to facilitate volunteer integration and learning
● Organize the kitchen to accommodate program needs, to ensure a proper rotation of
food and to ensure and promote a safe, clean and healthy kitchen environment
● Contribute to the development, and evaluation of meal programs.
Specific skills and experience required:
● 2+ years of professional cooking experience
● Passion for education and knowledge sharing with a diversity of participants (youth,
seniors, vulnerable individuals, etc.)
● Experience training and managing volunteers
● Capacity for collaborative teamwork and comfort in a dynamic community environment
● Creativity and flexibility with menus based on available foods (donations, seasonal,
● Adaptable to regularly changing environments, and able to accept and accommodate for
error and imperfection
● Good communication skills in both English and French (please indicate your capacity in
both English and French in your cover letter)
● Experience ordering food and managing inventory and a budget,
● MAPAQ certification an asset
● Passionate about good, healthy food for all
● Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to work under pressure
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills
● Ability to see big picture and plan for both immediate and long-term needs
● Comfortable working with and managing a team of volunteers with varying experience
● Collaborative, yet self-motivated and independent
● Salary: $20/hr
● 28 hrs/week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday with the possibility of a few evening
● Contract: begins the week of October 22nd, 2018 and ends in early April, 2019
Please drop off or email a cover letter and your CV in a single document (either Word or PDF)
with the subject line “ Community Chef ” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate your
capacity to communicate in English and French in your cover letter.
The Depot 6505 Somerled Ave. Montréal QC H4V 1S7 514-483-4680
Applications will be read as they are received, so we recommend that candidates submit as
early as possible . Applications received after Sunday September 30, 2018 at midnight may not
TIPS FOR APPLYING! In your cover letter, we want to hear:
● Who you are and what your background is. The Depot is committed to creating a workplace
as diverse as the communities we serve and thus strongly encourages applicants from our
diverse communities and people who experience marginalization to self-identify in their cover
● What you like about the Depot and why you want to work in this job. We want to make
sure you understand our mission and our values. Tell us why you think this job is interesting and
● What your experience is. Have you worked in similar jobs or have you volunteered in similar
programs before? Tell us what skills that you gained and how your experience would help you in
this job. If there’s experience you don’t have, be honest and tell us how you hope to grow and
● Be yourself! We want to hear your voice and enthusiasm!
Questions about the job or the application process?
Please contact Caitlin at email@example.com or 514-483-4680 x209