Full time – 35hrs./week/ $18/hr.
About the Depot
Founded in 1986, The Depot Community Food Centre is a community-based, non-profit organization that works collaboratively with its community to address the root causes of hunger and poverty in NDG and the surrounding areas in a manner that ensures dignity, community engagement and the development of human potential.
At the Depot, we offer programming to support the food security and healthy eating habits of youth, families and individuals. These activities include food distribution, community meals, kitchen workshops, after-school programs, gardens and farmer’s markets.
We are currently looking to hire a Community Worker to contribute to our Resource Department.
In this newly created position, the Community Worker will help the Depot’s resource team in its efforts to work with participants across all of our programs to ensure that they are supported beyond food relief and linked with Depot and community resources.
The Community Worker will be available to participants via visits to all Depot programs and one-on-one appointments. They will work to connect participants to a variety of supports and resources both within and outside of the Depot.
The Community Worker will work with the Depot community to increase awareness of poverty, inequality and food systems issues and create opportunities for low income community members to lead in a push for social change. They will also work with participants to build skills they need to advocate for themselves and for their communities.
- Work with community members through one-on-one support and making referrals to Depot and other community programs and resources
- Support to staff within their programs through training, consultation and visits
- Assist in the management of twice weekly Food Distribution/Meal Program/Resource Kiosk service to foster a space that is welcoming, inclusive and safe. This involves using our database to register participants and oversee registration volunteers.
- Seek out and provide assistance to program participants of all ages going through vulnerable times (internal outreach)
- Help plan and facilitate activities, workshops and events that increase community engagement, promote popular education and prioritize social justice
- Build community capacity and momentum by supporting people to develop confidence and leadership skills through participation in our programs and workshops
- Work collaboratively with participants to identify and work towards their priorities for community change
- Link with broader community context and insure community members needs become our work. This involves meeting people where they are at in the community.
Required skills and experience
- Excellent verbal communication skills in both French and English. (Additional languages an asset.)
- Written communication skills in both French and English
- Degree or Diploma in Community Work, Human Services and or Related Experience
- Demonstrated experience in effective community organizing including engagement, mobilization, popular education and event coordination
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with people of diverse cultures and abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable using Windows and Google Drive
- Must be available to work on Tuesdays from 1pm – 7:30 pm. and on Fridays from 9am – 3pm. (with some exceptions) (possibility of some evenings and weekends)
- Able to travel efficiently by foot or bicycle within the NDG community
- Experience working with community organizations and/or knowledge of the NDG community.
- Lived experience with food insecurity, poverty, marginalization
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Experience or training in non-violent (or compassionate) communication and conflict de-escalation
- Ability to manage stressful situations and multitask under pressure
- Dedicated to social justice issues
- Capacity for Public Speaking
- Commitment to walking beside participants and community members in their journey and to help them find their voice
- Understanding of food systems, and or food security issues
- Passion for good, healthy food for all
- First aid training
Salary: $18/hr 35hrs./week
Contract position starting after September 1st, 2019 to March 31, 2020 with the possibility of renewal.
To apply for this position
Please follow the link above.
If you have questions or encounter problems contact Marguerite Kinfack at email@example.com or at 514-483-4680, 219
There is no deadline to apply. Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis, and only selected candidates will be contacted.
The Depot is committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve and thus strongly encourages people from our diverse communities and people who experience marginalization to self-identify.
The Depot Community Food Centre 6505 Somerled Ave. Montréal, QC H4V1S7 514-483-4680
TIPS FOR APPLYING
In your cover letter, we want to hear:
- Who you are and what your background is.
- What you like about the Depot and why you want to work in this job. We want to make sure you understand our mission and our values.
- Tell us why you think this job is interesting and important.
- What your experience is. Have you worked in similar jobs or have you volunteered in similar programs before? Tell us what skills that you gained and how your experience would help you in this job. If there’s experience you don’t have, be honest and tell us how you hope to grow and learn.
- Be yourself! We want to hear your voice and enthusiasm!
Questions about the jobs or the application process. Please contact Marguerite Kinfack at or 514-483-4680 x 219