JOB SUMMARY: UNDER THE GENERAL AUTHORITY OF THE DIRECTOR OF STUDENT SERVICES, THE DIVERSITY & SOCIAL EQUITY SPECIALIST WILL DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES RELATED TO DIVERSITY & SOCIAL EQUITY FOR THE JAC COMMUNITY. THE INCUMBENT WILL DELIVER TRAINING PROGRAMS AND WORKSHOPS TO INCREASE THE AWARENESS AND COMPETENCY OF STAFF, STUDENTS & FACULTY. AREAS OF FOCUS MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: ANTI DISCRIMINATION, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, RACE AND CULTURE, INDIGENOUS AND ABILITY/DISABILITY ISSUES.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Support the college’s commitment to equity and diversity by conceptualizing, preparing, coordinating, and delivering sustainable training programs and tools in order to increase student, staff, and faculty awareness and capacity relating to diversity and equity issues.
• Identify, assess, and respond to ongoing challenges relating to equity and diversity on campus and generate institutional goals accordingly.
• Monitor and evaluate diversity and training/educational programs, and revise programs to meet new demands.
• Develop and disseminate communications that will support the functions of the office.
• Assist in developing and launching other activities in support of diversity and equity goals – e.g. public lectures, conferences, discussion groups, film screenings, peer support groups, student groups, etc.
• Support managers, student leaders, and administrators seeking to enhance their processes, programs, policies, and functions relating to diversity and equity.
• Deliver diversity and equity orientation training for new managerial and support staff; and collaborate on training and development workshops for faculty.
• Act as a resource person or consultant within diversity area of expertise.
• Participate in appropriate college committees.
• Liaise with other Student Services departments, the Registrar’s Office, academic departments and faculty, academic administration, etc.
• Maintain links with other Cégeps and University Diversity offices.
• Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of specialization, particularly education.
• Master’s degree in Education or a related field of study, with a clear specialization relevant to equity and diversity would be an asset.
• Two years work experience in diversity or equity related issues preferred.
• Demonstrated and up-to-date knowledge of social equity, sexual and/or cultural diversity, accessibility, and human rights policies, practices and/or laws.
• Expertise and up-to-date knowledge of contemporary approaches to promotion of diversity and equity, among youth, or within an educational or college context.
• Experience mentoring and working with diverse student populations.
• Knowledge of challenges facing members of LGBTT2SQI, racialized/ethnic, and other marginalized communities.
• Experience developing and implementing institutional strategies.
• Experience in the development and implementation of equity, diversity and inclusion programs
• Excellent human relations, organizational and administrative skills.
• Demonstrated leadership abilities.
• Computer skills – Word, Excel.
• English – Advanced Oral and Written.
• French – Intermediate Oral and Written.
- Word (Basic)
- Excel (Basic)
- English (Advanced – Oral and Written)
- French (Intermediate Oral and Written)
If your work experience has changed or if you have acquired additional education since your last visit, be sure to submit your updated resume so that we may review your full career path.
If you are applying from a mobile device (smartphone, tablet), you will receive an acknowledgment email asking you to update your file by submitting your CV in order for your application to be considered.