We are currently looking to hire multiple part-time Cooking and Nutrition Workshop Facilitators. These facilitators will facilitate the different cooking and nutrition workshops offered by Boîte à Lunch NDG and the Depot, including:
• After-school cooking workshops with elementary children ages 9 to 11 (Boîte à Lunch);
• After-school cooking workshops with teens (Boîte à Lunch);
• Community cooking workshops with families, adults and seniors.
About the Depot: Founded in 1986, the Depot is a community-based non-profit organization that works collaboratively with its community to address the root causes of hunger and poverty in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce (NDG) and the surrounding areas in a manner that ensures dignity, community engagement and the development of human potential.
Boîte à Lunch is an edible education and food security program serving youth and families in NDG. We run cooking and nutrition workshops for elementary and high school students in neighborhood schools and community centers, during which participants prepare healthy meals and snacks.
Our Community Kitchen Workshops invite families, adults and seniors to participate in preparing and sharing a meal in neighborhood community spaces.
Responsibilities / Tasks:
• Facilitation of cooking and nutrition workshops: 3 to 5 workshops per week;
• Transfer of cooking skills and nutrition knowledge to workshop participants;
• Ensure a safe and hygienic environment for participants;
• Communication with participants and program partners;
• Contribute to the development, planning, and evaluation of the workshops and program;
• Participate in team meetings and facilitate collaboration among team members;
• Facilitate the final party for Boîte à Lunch workshop participants (December 2018).
• Bilingual French/English with the ability to facilitate comfortably in both languages;
• Facilitation experience with youth;
• Ability to interact positively with youth of various social and economic backgrounds;
• Understanding of the challenges faced by immigrant families, appreciation of cultural knowledge;
• Strong foundation and interest in healthy eating and nutrition;
• Confidence in the kitchen and ability to transmit skills to participants in an empowering way;
• Strong capacity for effective teamwork and experience working in community settings;
• Knowledge of the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce community is an asset;
• First aid certification and/or MAPAQ food handler certification is an asset;
• Ability to ride a bicycle comfortably and/or a valid driver’s license are assets;
• Sense of initiative and creativity encouraged, along with a passion for food and for cooking!
A weekly schedule will be set for each facilitator. We have several part-time positions to fill with varying weekly hours (between 6 and 20 hours per week). Boîte à Lunch facilitation shifts are primarily in the afternoons and evenings. We will ask candidates to tell us their availabilities as part of the application process. In addition, facilitators will be expected to do some preparation work (reading) from home, and must be available for team meetings every 2 weeks and for the end-of-session party for Boîte à Lunch participants – Tuesday, December 11th from 3 to 8 PM.
• 13-week contract from September 10th to December 14th, 2018;
• Possible contract renewal in January 2019.
• Salary: 15$ per hour.
To apply, please fill out this online form*: https://bit.ly/2NGZYuc
* If you can’t access the form, please give us a call at 514 483 4680 x 211
Deadline to apply: Friday, August 17th, 2018 at 5 PM
Only selected candidates will be contacted. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
The Depot is committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve and thus strongly encourages people from our diverse communities and people who experience marginalization to self-identify in their cover letter.