We are currently looking to hire multiple part-time Cooking and Nutrition Workshop Facilitators. These facilitators will facilitate the different cooking and nutrition workshops offered by the NDG Food Depot’s Food Skills team. We are filling several positions; candidates will be offered different contracts according to their experience and skill sets. We offer several kinds of workshops, including:
• Community cooking and nutrition workshops with adults and seniors;
• Family-oriented community cooking workshops;
• After-school cooking and nutrition workshops with elementary children in grades 4 and 5 (Boîte à Lunch);
• After-school cooking and nutrition workshops with teens (Boîte à Lunch).
About the NDG Food Depot: Founded in 1986, the NDG Food Depot is a community-based non-profit organization that works collaboratively with its community to address the root causes of hunger and poverty in NDG and the surrounding areas in a manner that ensures dignity, community engagement and the development of human potential.
Boîte à Lunch is an edible education and food security program serving youth and families in NDG. We run cooking and nutrition workshops for elementary and high school students in neighborhood schools and community centers, during which participants prepare healthy meals and snacks. Families are also invited to participate in community cooking workshops in neighborhood community centers.
Responsibilities / Tasks :
• Facilitation of cooking and nutrition workshops: 3 to 5 workshops per week;
• Transfer of cooking skills and nutrition knowledge to workshop participants;
• Ensure a safe and hygienic environment for participants;
• Communication with participants and program partners;
• Contribute to the development, planning, and evaluation of the workshops and program;
• Participate in team meetings and facilitate collaboration among team members;
• Facilitate the final party for Boîte à Lunch workshop participants (December 2017);
• Bilingual French/English (additional language an asset)
• Experience in facilitating with youth (children and teens) and/or adults and seniors;
• Ability to interact positively with youth and/or adults of various social, economic, and cultural backgrounds;
• Understanding of the challenges faced by immigrant families, and appreciation of cultural knowledge and diversity;
• Strong foundation and interest in healthy eating and nutrition;
• Confidence in the kitchen and ability to transmit skills to participants in an empowering way;
• Capacity for effective teamwork and experience with community-building and mobilisation;
• Knowledge of the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce community is an asset;
• First aid certification and/or MAPAQ food handler certification is an asset; ability to ride a bicycle comfortably and/or a valid driver’s license are assets;
• Sense of initiative and creativity encouraged, along with a passion for Good Food!
A precise weekly schedule will be set by the coordinators for each facilitator. We have a number of part-time positions to fill with varying weekly hours (between 6 and 15 hours per week) and schedules. Boîte à Lunch facilitators must be available afternoons and evenings, while Community Kitchen facilitators should be available Mondays and Wednesdays during the day, as well as some evenings. We will ask candidates to tell us their availabilities during the application process.
In addition, the facilitator should have certain flexibility to do preparation work from home, and must be available for the following events:
• Team meetings every 2 weeks;
• End-of-session party for Boîte à Lunch participants – Friday, December 8th from 3 to 8 PM.
• At least one of the following Saturdays for Cultural Cooking Workshops – November 4th, 18th, or 25th.
• 4-month contract (September to December 2017); with possibility of contract renewal in January 2018;
• Renumeration: 15$/hour. The facilitator will be hired as a part-time employee.
To apply, please fill out this online form*:
* If you can’t access the form, please give us a call at 514 483 4680 x 211
Deadline to apply: Thursday, August 10th, 2017 at 5 PM
The NDG Food Depot is committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applicants from our diverse communities and people who experience marginalization to identify themselves in their application.
Only selected candidates will be contacted. Thanks for your patience and understanding.