Beginning its work in 1999, Communitas is a non-profit, volunteer-driven organization which works
toward a healthy and safe community by facilitating the successful social reintegration of those who have
spent time in prison. It works to provide a variety of structured opportunities for (ex-)prisoners to engage
with volunteer community members, receive socialization, support, companionship and mentorship, and
engage in various informative or capacity-building activities. The organization takes guidance from the
principles of Restorative Justice, and believes that the community has an important role to play in
criminal justice issues. The present budget of the organization is approximately $105,000 and employs
one full-time position (below) and one part-time support position.
This full-time role requires you to take a dynamic leadership role in the administration, programming, and
strategic planning of a small non-profit organization dedicated to social justice through the reintegration
of current and former inmates in the Montreal area. Significant attention will be given to the successful
management and growth of our Circles of Support and Accountability (CoSA) project, which facilitates
community supports for individuals with a history of sexual offenses.
The role will require you to take a leadership role in and/or oversight of a variety of activities, including
but not limited to recruiting, screening, and training volunteers and beneficiaries, cultivating supportive
relationships with volunteers and beneficiaries in both group and one-on-one contexts, ensuring the
adherence of activities to Communitas policies and project parameters, monitoring spending, coordinating
fundraising efforts, completing and/or overseeing narrative, statistical, and financial reporting, and
liaising with—and promoting activities to—relevant correctional and community partners as well as
The Coordinator will report directly to the Board of Directors and will work in consultation with the
Steering Committee and members of the organization.
The expected start date of this position is September 1, 2018.
• Hours can be variable and are not limited to regular business days or hours (e.g. circles, open
door, meetings with colleagues and clientele)
• Availability may be required on short notice for emergencies or situations requiring imminent
Vision and Planning
• Attend to long-term vision of non-profit organization by bringing relevant ideas, policy
considerations, needs, and issues to Board of Directors
• Effectively manage large, complex, multi-year projects which require attention to changing
objectives and constraints
• Ability to manage, identify and solicit financial support opportunities (e.g. grants, etc.)
Collaboration and Communication
• Possess excellent English language skills and is comfortable communicating in French as well
• Ability to develop personal and institutional relationships
• Possess excellent communication skills necessary for promoting Communitas’ work, reporting,
applying for grants, etc.
• Possess working understanding of social and web media
Leadership, Management, and Coordination
• Possess the ability to effectively oversee and delegate responsibility to employees, contractors,
• Ability to craft and monitor annual and project budgets over $100,000
• Ability to plan and facilitate effective meetings with a variety of demographics
• Ability to work independently and with initiative, as well as part of a team
• Effectiveness with organizational marketing and positioning
• Organize annual membership consultations
• Ability to cultivate and maintain trust with individuals from a variety of backgrounds, including
those who may be distrustful of others
• Ability to handle situations with discretion, wisdom, maturity, confidentiality, and without
Experience and knowledge
• Familiarity and comfort with, and commitment to, field of social reintegration of those who have
spent time in prison
• Familiarity and comfort with, and commitment to, principles and ethos of restorative justice work
• Possess working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and willingness to learn new technologies
• Experience working with vulnerable populations is an asset
Note: This position will require eligibility to work in correctional environments and to have access to
protected, confidential or sensitive information, and thus may require background checks as appropriate.
Education and Experience
Graduate degree in a related field is required; however, a strong record of experience in combination with
an undergraduate degree may be accepted in lieu of a graduate degree.
Starting salary at $43,600 p.a. gross, based on 37.5 hours weekly, and including two weeks paid vacation.
Applicants should forward a cover letter addressing how they meet the needs of the position and an
updated CV (both in pdf format) to the Communitas Hiring Committee by email at
firstname.lastname@example.org by August 10, 2018