Hours: 18-20 hours/week
Timeline: One year with potential to extend
Accountable to: Sustainable Concordia Board of Directors and Coordinators
Application deadline: Saturday August 4th, 2018, 5PM
Contract: August 13, 2018 – August 2019
Please fill out this form as your application to the position. Do not forget to attach to your CV and portfolio during the process: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wKvk6iGlK8mEeWM3SdJ-0JmThOaf-m4-44F3L3pbPuU/prefill
For any question or request, please email the Sustainable Concordia General Coordinator at email@example.com.
The role of the Communications & Design Coordinator is to create and maintain the visual and web presence of SC. The Coordinator will be responsible for creating common outreach materials as well as ongoing campaign materials. Alongside an intern, the coordinator will also be in charge of overseeing and planning SC’s social media and communication strategy. As they will be a part of the larger sustainability community at Concordia, the Coordinator will help when needed and as time allows in assisting other groups with their design needs.
About Sustainable Concordia (SC)
We are an organization that builds and measures culture and practices of sustainability at Concordia University in solidarity with the global community. We believe that fundamental changes need to be implemented. We assess and address challenges of the existing economy based on unlimited growth and exploitation of natural resources and the political system that excludes key stakeholders from participating in decision-making.
By acting locally and networking globally, we achieve sustainability by exploring, creating, and institutionalizing models that function within the earth’s carrying capacity.We aim to enact and expanded political mission for the university, and redirect decision-making through a multi-stakeholder approach based on transparency and maximum participation.
Sustainable Concordia acknowledges that our society does not value and respect all people equally. Our equity policy is structured to recognize barriers to formal learning and employment opportunities that leave out systemically marginalized and undervalued social groups. Accordingly, we encourage applications from BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) persons, persons with disabilities, queer persons, trans persons, and other groups that are usually overlooked in hiring processes. If you wish to be considered for employment equity, please indicate in the box on the form. Note: We do not require applicants to disclose the reasons for which they are applying for employment equity.
- Guide the team according to a yearly communication strategy
- Create outreach / promotional material including posters, social media cover photos, multi-page layouts, brochures, certificates etc.
- Maintain and update functionality of the SC WordPress website
- Guide social media strategies, and oversee social media intern
- Curate blog content
- Collaborate on outreach, such as a newsletter
- Create social media guidelines
- Curate and design the monthly newsletters
- Coordinate outreach needs (photographers, videographers, bloggers..)
- Maintain a guide for standardized SC fonts, colors, etc. and digital filing system for logos
- Attend weekly Sustainable Concordia Coordinators meetings
- Attend Sustainable Concordia Board of Director meetings when required, as well as Outreach committee meetings
- Collaborate with other coordinators in day-to-day operations of the organization including, but not limited to, meeting preparation and facilitation, board – coordinator relations, Annual General Meeting and retreat planning, Participatory Budgeting processes, etc
- Assist other student groups with web and graphic design help when appropriate
- Offer training to other campus organizations on web, graphic design, and other workshops offered by the organization
- Strong Illustrator and Photoshop (or equivalent program) skills
- Solid experience with WordPress content management system
- Good understanding of social media graphics and wording requirements, general ease with various platforms
- Experience with campaigning and advertising; to catch attention of intended audience
- Strong problem solving skills; ability to fail, learn, and adapt quickly
- Experience creating and executing work plans autonomously as well as in conjunction with others
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills (esp. good listener)
- Strong English speaking and writing skills, including sustainability vocabulary
- Good understanding of global and local sustainability issues (Environmental, Social, and Economic), particularly at universities, and ability to communicate these issues clearly and succinctly. We prioritize knowledge around decolonial forms of sustainability.
- Comfortable both taking initiative and knowing when to delegate responsibilities
- Capable and appreciative of working efficiently in a consensus-structured, non-hierarchical environment
- Knowledge of Sustainable Concordia and experience with the organization
- Understanding of the student community (Concordia and/or Montreal)
- Visually creative with a desire to grow/strengthen a personal aesthetic
- Strong In Design (or equivalent program) skills
- Knowledge of MailChimp
- Strong visual and written communication
- Comfortable having fluctuating hours throughout the semester
- Comfortable with having a different schedule from week to week
- Comfortable asking for help when required