Are you motivated by challenges? Are you passionate about human rights and interested in leading our Education team? Do you have a strong knowledge of human rights education, or education in a related field? Do you have an extensive experience with instructional design? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Equitas is Canada’s most recognized and active human rights education organization. We work for the advancement of equality, social justice and respect for human dignity through transformative education programs. We empower people to address inequalities and discrimination, and to work to build more inclusive and rights-respecting communities.
Equitas is seeking a Director of Education who cares deeply about human rights, equality and inclusion and has a solid work experience in educational design. The Director of Education will bring their skills and experience in participatory education to support the work of human rights education, both in Canada and internationally. They will collaborate with the other directors to ensure strategic direction for the entire organization and will actively participate on the management committee and program steering committee. They will lead the articulation of the strategic vision for human rights education with emphasis on innovation, a participatory approach and knowledge of human rights. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Education will manage a team of a dozen education specialists and will ensure the development of human rights education products and processes, adapted to the evolving context and to multiple target audiences such as civil society organizations and human rights defenders and are on a variety of platforms. They are responsible for ensuring that all aspects of the process of educational design and delivery of human rights education programs are carried out.
Strategic management of the development of human rights education products and processes:
- Lead the development and articulation of the strategic vision for human rights education through innovation, participatory methodologies and human rights knowledge
- Keep abreast of trends and issues in human rights education as well as the evolution of the field of education in general and develop strategic analyses for the organization
- Ensure the strategic coherence of all human rights education programs (including training and learning processes) throughout Equitas’ programming
- Oversee the development and delivery of human rights education programs for Equitas projects that are relevant to the realities of Equitas’ international and Canadian partners, including training and learning process tools and evaluation tools
- Ensure consistency in the implementation and evaluation of human rights education programs
- Participate in the development of project proposals and budget planning to ensure an innovative contribution to the technical offer in line with the planned budgets
- Ensure that the organization seizes, in a structured and collaborative way, opportunities to learn quickly, to innovate in promising ways, and to recognize failures and inefficiencies in human rights education
- Lead the development of the knowledge management strategy in close collaboration with the Knowledge Manager
- Facilitate, in collaboration with the two program directors, an optimal collaboration within the project, program and learning teams and a synergy between program officers and education specialists
- Identify the most promising human rights education programs and processes that can be replicated and disseminated to maximize the results achieved
Leadership and management of the education team
- Oversee and coordinate the development and implementation of annual work plans and budgets for the learning committees, including the production of educational tools and knowledge management
- Analyze, validate and monitor the level of effort required of education team members in relation to the plans developed by the project and program teams
- Ensure the supervision of team members and ensure the development and implementation of a coaching strategy within the team
- Ensure the maintenance of sound staff management within the team and support the professional growth and leadership of staff, in accordance with broader organizational needs and priorities
- Ensure the onboarding and adequate supervision of human resources (employees, interns, volunteers and consultants)
Representation and networking
- Ensure, together with the Management Committee, that Equitas remains a reference point for human rights education to individuals and external groups
- Ensure, together with the Management Committee, that Equitas is represented when interacting with stakeholders (e.g., funders, partners, the broader human rights community, including governments, etc.)
- Ensure the strengthening of Equitas’ network of human rights defenders and human rights educators
- Ensure the development of strategic relationships with the international human rights education community
- Motivation and commitment to Equitas’ mission, vision and values and the ability to inspire others to do the same
- Education: preferably a Master’s degree in education or curriculum development or other related disciplines or equivalent experience
- At least seven (7) years of professional experience requiring a strong knowledge of human rights education, or education related to a related field (social justice, education for pluralism, anti-racism, citizenship education), including at least three (3) years as a team manager
- Demonstrated experience in human resources management, management, team building and coaching/supervision
- A solid understanding of educational design (face-to-face and online)
- Knowledge of e-learning or knowledge management software/platforms
- Ability to think strategically and drive organizational change in terms of culture and behavior, organizational processes, technology and tools
- Ability to use an adaptative management approach in a changing environment
- Excellent leadership, teamwork and demonstrated ability to mobilize resources
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Good knowledge and skills in educational evaluation
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French) and excellent report writing skills in at least one of these languages
- Skills in other languages is an asset
- Availability to travel occasionally in Canada and/or internationally
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada and based in Montreal
Salary level starting at $76.500
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people living with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Education Director in the subject line by October 19th at 12 p.m.