At Canadian Roots Exchange, we believe that young people are the key to ensuring the relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples improves through dialogue, understanding, and relationship building. Our charitable organization has been convening meetings of both Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth (ages 13-29) across Canada for over a decade through exchange programs, youth leadership development, educational workshops in schools, national gatherings, and the launch of an National Indigenous Youth Network.
Job term: Full-time (1 year contract, possibility of renewal)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Start date: June 2019
Locations: Saskatoon, Toronto, or Montréal
Closing date: April 30th (6pm EST)
Compensation: $62,000 – $67,000 + benefits
Requirements: 5+ years organizing multi-day events with more than 200 attendees
What we’re looking for
Our ideal candidate brings experience organizing festivals, conferences, and cultural and educational events. They are able to navigate the operational details of convening large events, identify and resolve issues as they arise — all while guiding the larger vision of the programming. They have also worked or volunteered with Indigenous communities.
As we expand our national presence, we are looking for an Events Manager to lead the organization of our two major events: the Annual National Gathering and Annual Celebration. Every year, CRE hosts a National Gathering that draws 300+ youth from across Canada, and the next will be held in Montréal in February 2020. This coming September we will be hosting our 2nd Annual Celebration for our major and potential donors to recognize the work that CRE accomplished in 2018-2019. In this role, the successful candidate will:
- Envision events based on input from internal stakeholders and ensure that necessary objectives, deliverables, and/or outcomes are met
- Coordinate program planning committees and incorporate feedback
- Lead various staff and volunteers in the planning and convening of major events
- Ensure that major events are delivered on budget
- Manage event preparation and delivery – from sourcing venues, finalizing contracts, conducting briefings with all vendors and staff prior to the event to managing the on-site team, registration, staff/volunteers, logistics, and overall technical production of the event
- Develop and maintain relationships with national and local vendors
- Recommend and implement the latest technologies and digital tools used in the event world
- Advise programming staff and volunteers on the design and convening of other events
- Undertake other tasks as assigned
This role requires the successful candidate to spend 10-20% of their time travelling within Canada depending on their office location, with periodic evening and weekend work.
- Salary: $62,000 – $67,000 based on experience and education
- Vacation: 3 weeks and statutory holidays
- Health Benefits: will begin following a 3-month probationary period
- Phone Allowance: $40 a month
- Other: RRSP contribution that is 5% of salary
As a part of your application, please provide a cover letter that introduces yourself and shares your passion for working with youth (especially youth in Indigenous, racialized, and newcomer communities). In your cover letter, please indicate your preference for which CRE office you would like to work from. Candidates must be available for an hour and a half interview. Also if you have any questions, you can contact Tristan Smyth, Operations and Finance Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can submit a completed application (cover letter and résumé) to email@example.com as a single PDF with the following file naming convention: Events_LastName.FirstName.pdf Ex: Events_Smyth.Tristan.pdf before April 30th at 6pm.