SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Under its red roof, St-Michael’s Mission is an independent non-profit organization working directly with
those persons living in poverty and the homeless of downtown Montreal. The Mission, as a day-centre,
constitutes an important link in the chain of services for the underprivileged and marginalized population
of the city.
We are looking for an Executive director who is passionate and oriented towards the clients of St-
Michael’s Mission. The incumbent performs all functions related to the management of the organization
and participates in the coordination of the team. They ensure the continual updating and maintenance
of respect of the mission and the values of the organization. They play a key role in the funding of the
organization, as well as representing the mission to the federal, provincial and municipal authorities as
required by his functions. In addition, they will be able to develop a network with neighborhood
organizations and forums.
By working at St. Michael’s Mission, you directly work with people who are homeless or at risk of
– Ensure to maintain an effective overview, as well as adequate and ongoing planning to support
the consolidation, smooth operation and development of the organization.
– Promote the organization and its services to the community; establish partnerships with local
groups and corporations and provide representation to significant authorities and groups on
behalf of St Michael’s Mission.
– Seek opportunities for development and financing. Complete grant applications and follow up with
– Ensure the effective management, support and supervision of human resources at St Michael’s
Mission. Foster their development, support their initiatives and mobilize them.
– Establish an effective mechanism to receive and manage complaints.
– Promote the inclusion of the clientele, and combat stigmatization.
– Ensure efficient and transparent financial management.
– Ensure the proper management of the premises so that it is safe for users, volunteers and
– Maintain a balance between strong leadership and autonomy with the willingness and ability to
work collaboratively with the Board of directors.
MBA or DESS or BAC in Social Sciences or equivalent relevant experience.
– Minimum of 5-years experience in a similar management position, preferably in
– Experience working with the homeless population is an asset;
– Knowledge of the First Nations and Inuit cultures is an asset;
– Experience in the field of Social Work and/or other related field(s) such as
Psychology, Criminology, Addiction, and Counseling will also be considered.
Knowledge and skills
– Bilingual, a mastery of French and English, both oral and written.
– Knowledge of the community and its environs.
– Familiarity with a clientele who are homeless and in extremely precarious situations.
– Skilled in development, representation and networking.
– Ability to establish and maintain partnership networks.
– Skilled in collaborative management.
– Human resources management ability based on respect of all participants.