Santropol Roulant provides Montrealers with increased access to healthy and nutritious food. We respond to the immediate needs of our meals-on-wheels clients and give them decision making power when it comes to what they eat. Through our markets, workshops and agricultural projects, we provide community members with opportunities to develop their skills and understanding of local food production, preparation and preservation. Our choice to grow and purchase organic and have sliding scale pricing for many of our activities and products, are practices that help us make good food more accessible. We also offer many ways to be involved and have an impact in the community, especially via our volunteering, and participating in workshops and events among others.
We’re looking for a seasoned farmer to lead the team at our organic small-scale farm in Senneville. The Farm Manager will work in close collaboration with the administrative team and the farm coordinators, ensuring alignment across our farming practice and operations, as well as with our administrative team to foster relationships, maintain a high level of engagement of our community and ensure that our farm meets its program objectives: increasing the food security through the provision of organic food to our community of members.
The work environment is highly collaborative and we’re excited to welcome another member to our team of farmers! The following are some key areas of impact for the farm manager position:
- Administration: Manage budgets, sales targets, costs, capital expenditures; develop communications and sales strategies; conform to organic farm standards; representing the farm with partners and external parties.
- Human Resources: Assure farm presence and staff schedules; collaborate workforce needs and assist in hiring and selection committees; help build training and development plans related to farm practice and operations; maintain high quality and productive farm practices; develop systems to welcome, orient and direct volunteers at the farm;
- Farm Practice: Implement crop rotation, soil fertility and production targets according to best practice; demonstrate and optimize planting techniques and pest control methodology; establishing quality-managed harvesting, storage and transport methods, ensuring appropriate temperature and handling procedures;
- Operations: Monitor and maintain greenhouse equipment, fabric and tunnels, irrigation and pumping systems, grounds installations, hand and power tools, and the fleet of farm equipment are in good working order and ensure all are being used according to specification; assuring or delegating the repair, maintenance or acquisition of equipment where necessary.
- 2-3 years of management experience in organic farming, agricultural production or agronomy
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Certification in agriculture, agronomy or farming techniques an asset
Candidates should also demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Communication: Excellent communication, strong interpersonal skills, and bilingualism
- Monitoring the performance of yourself, other individuals and work processes to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordinating and adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making about the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and choosing the most appropriate one.
The starting wage for this role is $17.69 per hour, and includes some other benefits such as an annual wellness benefit, training and development discretionary funds, and three weeks of vacation.
This role will require regular travel on a weekly basis between the Roulant farm in Senneville in the west island and our downtown location, both for meetings, farm shiftwork and to transport goods to and from markets. Candidates must be comfortable with heavy lifting, operating power tools and working in a variety of weather conditions, from early spring to late fall.
Santropol Roulant is committed to building a diverse and accessible community in the most equitable way possible. Inclusion is at the heart of what we do, and as such we are committed to a hiring methodology that reflects this value. We uphold non-discriminatory hiring practice to ensure a fair and just recruitment process, and acknowledge the importance of creating opportunity for protected groups wherever possible. Come as you are – let’s break social isolation and engage our community through healthy food together.
Please visit this site and click the “I’m interested” button, and then copy paste your cover letter in the text field. You will be asked to create a very basic profile that will enable you to manage your application. Please note that while a resume and cover letter are required, all other information is optional. The deadline to apply is January 14th, 2019 with a start date the week of January 21, 2019.