The mission of Auberge Shalom pour femmes is to provide safe shelter, counselling, and advocacy support for the full diversity of women and children affected by conjugal violence as well as to break the cycle of conjugal violence through education, prevention and advocacy. Auberge Shalom pour femmes has a special mandate to serve women from the Jewish community: the organization runs a 12-bed shelter as well as an external counselling and resource office and Supporting Resilience Program for mothers and children affected by conjugal violence
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Shelter work: To provide frontline services to Shelter clients which include telephone intake and support services, crisis intervention, psychosocial assessments, individual counseling and support groups, resources, advocacy work and collaboration with other social services and professionals.
• Outreach and Education: To participate in community projects, external committees, represent the centre at events and conferences, participate in research or lobbying initiatives that relate to the ASPF’s clientele.
• Organizational Life: To participate in team meetings, workplanning, committees, annual events, and collaborate with center volunteers.
• Bachelor of Social Work or Masters in Social Work or other related helping profession.
• Experience in working with conjugal violence
• Experience in crisis intervention
• Strong case management skills and experience
• Knowledge of Jewish community and customs and cultural competencies
• Flexibility and ability to remain calm and efficient under pressure
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively within team
• Knowledge and experience working with a trauma informed and strengths-based approach.
• Fluently bilingual in English and French
• Ability to communicate in a third language
• Educational background in women’s studies or related field.
• Contract begins as soon as possible: February 2019
• Schedule: 35 hours per week including one evening
• Starting salary: $22.62/hr
• Benefits: Employee is eligible for benefits upon passing her 3-month probationary period.
• Please send a Cover Letter and current CV addressing how you meet the necessary qualifications and outlining why you want to work for ASPF by February 22, 2019 to email@example.com. Please put “Shelter Counsellor” in the subject line of the email.