Position: IT Manager
Start Date: Monday, November 19, 2018
Position Type: Full-Time (35 hours per week)
The Atwater Library and Computer Centre (the Library) is a not-for-profit, independent organization with charitable status that operates a vibrant community centre in Montreal’s downtown west. With a mission to foster learning and contribute to community development, the organization specializes in English-language activities and welcomes everyone.
The Library operates an 8-station public access computer centre, a 9-station computer classroom for private and group computer instruction, and a free wireless network on the premises. The Library’s Digital Literacy Project, launched in 2007, engages a diversity of individuals and community groups in a variety of media creation, including blogging, audio, video, and digital photos.
The IT Manager’s primary job is to:
- Maintain a small network of 30+ workstations, two servers (Windows 2012) and wireless access.
- Ensure the smooth day-to-day operation of the Computer Centre staffed by a team of 20+ volunteers of varying computer skill levels.
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers.
Required Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Hardware and software troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Basic networking skills (troubleshooting/installation).
- Ability to manage and maintain a web server.
- Basic CMS (WordPress) and MailChimp knowledge (nice to have)
- Basic Windows server administration.
- Excellent customer service and people skills including dealing with people from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Initiative and ability to work independently.
- Interest in or experience working with community organizations.
- English (fluent oral and written) and conversational French.
Specific Job Duties
- Providing technical support to staff, volunteers, and patrons.
- System and Network administration on workstations and servers (installation and configuration, backups, updates, network design and documentation, troubleshooting, etc.).
- Setting up audio visual equipment for weekly events.
- Audio recording and editing for the Atwater Poetry Project.
- Recruiting, training and supervising Computer Centre volunteers.
- Filling in when there is no volunteer at the Computer Centre volunteer help desk.
- Website updating, maintenance and statistics.
- Maintaining the e-newsletter subscription list and sending e-newsletters weekly.
- Sharing with other staff routine tasks such as opening and closing the building, serving the public everywhere in the building, answering the phone, giving support to volunteers, administering cash boxes, washing dishes, keeping the work area clean and tidy, ensuring the building is well maintained, hosting events and volunteer parties.
Remuneration: $17 per hour, 35 hours per week.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 10 am to 6 pm with one (unpaid) hour for lunch.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 12 noon.
Short-listed candidates will be interviewed on November 15 and 16.
Apply via email email@example.com with the subject heading “IT Manager Job Application.”