About the NDG Food Depot
Founded in 1986, the NDG Food Depot is a community-based non-profit organization that works
collaboratively with its community to address the root causes of hunger and poverty in NDG and
the surrounding areas in a manner that ensures dignity, community engagement and the
development of human potential.
About Good Food Markets
The Depot’s Good Food Markets were developed in response to a call from community members
for better access to fresh fruits and vegetables. The markets offer a variety of fresh, local (often
from The Depot’s production garden), organic and non-organic, and ‘seconds’ produce in season.
Every Friday Market at the Depot community members are invited both to shop for fresh produce
and to stay for delicious snacks from our kitchen, activities, music and socializing. This summer
two satellite markets will also be held every week in vulnerable sectors of NDG.
We are currently looking for a Market Assistant to help with set up and running of our markets and
to support our various program areas. The contract runs for six months and will be paid in part by
Emploi-Québec. Candidates must be eligible for a subvention salariale.
Support the Market Coordinator in preparing and executing all markets
• Organize, set up and take down equipment and materials
• Manage and maintain inventory, stocks and oversee produce rotation
• Support the staff and lead volunteers at satellite markets
• Maintain relationships with partners and the community and promote the market
• Develop communications and promotional content for markets and associated events
Working at the market
• Assist installation, rotation of products and takedown of market each week
• Support operations of the market (cash register, display, sales, maintain cleanliness, and
on-site communications and publicity)
• Learn about the products we offer and promote them to clients
• Train, support and supervise volunteers
• Help promote the market, products and weekly specials
• Bilingual (French and English spoken)
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Comfortable with heavy lifting (up to 50-pound bags)
• Available to work Saturdays and until 8pm on Tuesdays, Thursday or Friday nights (2 days
• Ability to work as part of a team and within a diverse community environment
• Ability to prioritize and complete tasks efficiently
• Knowledge of the community of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce an asset
• Garden knowledge an asset
• Have work experience in an office environment an asset
• Eligible for a subvention salariale from Emploi-Québec
• 6-month contract through a subvention salariale from Emploi-Québec (May to end of
Please drop off or email a cover letter and your in a single document (word or pdf) to Marguerite
Kinfack at email@example.com by Sunday April 9th, 2017 at 11:59pm.
Suggestions for applying
Tell us why you want to work with us at the NDG Food Depot as our Market Assistant. We want to
make sure you understand our mission and our values. Tell us why you think this job is interesting.
Tell us about yourself and what makes you right for the job. Have you worked in similar jobs or
have you volunteered with similar organizations before? Tell us what skills that you gained and
how your experience would help you in this job.
The NDG Food Depot is committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve
and thus strongly encourages people from our diverse communities and people who experience
marginalization to self-identify in their cover letter.