Duration: 12 weeks
Start and End Dates: Flexible; 12 consecutive weeks between May 8 – August 25, 2017
Wage: 13.00 per hour, 35 hours per week
Language(s) of work: Intermediate to excellent oral and written English and basic (working knowledge of) oral and written French
Location: Montreal, Quebec
ELAN (English Language Arts Network) is a non-profit organization devoted to helping Quebec’s English-language artists connect with one another, with their francophone colleagues, and with audiences in Quebec, Canada, and internationally. Our members include artists and organizations representing many artistic disciplines and regions of Quebec. ELAN encourages an evolving Quebec identity that celebrates social, cultural, and artistic diversity.
ELAN is searching for a Membership Assistant for a twelve-week period. This position will provide valuable experience for candidates considering a career in arts and cultural administration, marketing, and communications, especially in the not-for-profit sector.
The Membership Assistant will have the following duties:
• Communicate with new, renewing, and inactive members, updating materials (welcome letters, reminder emails, etc.) in conjunction with ELAN’s communications plan
• Maintain membership database and monitor statistics through monthly reports
• Work with ELAN staff to improve membership engagement and retention
• Assist staff in researching improvements to membership structure and services
• Develop membership recruitment strategies as part of ELAN’s projects
• Assist Board and staff in conducting outreach to underrepresented groups
The Assistant will also collaborate with ELAN staff on ongoing marketing and membership outreach
campaigns, through digital communications (social media, website, email) and other channels. Research, writing, and communication through email, by phone, in person, and online will be involved.
This position is funded by the Government of Canada through Young Canada Works (YCW) in Both Official Languages. You must meet program criteria to be eligible for this position.
You are eligible if you:
• are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
• are legally entitled to work in Canada;
• will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
• will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment;
• have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment;
• intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment;
• have a working knowledge of both English and French
Candidates must be approved by Young Canada Works before hiring is confirmed. For more information, visit http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1459868059982
• Candidate should be pursuing a post-secondary university, CEGEP or college degree in arts and cultural management, arts administration, general or fine arts, communications, social sciences, marketing, or business.
• Intermediate to excellent spoken and written English; and a working knowledge of French.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word), social media (Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite), email programs (Thunderbird), databases.
• Solid interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
• Good organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
• Resourceful, with creative problem-solving skills, and the capacity to work autonomously.
• Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Mailchimp, and WordPress will be considered assets.
• Experience with website design and digital communications will be considered an asset.
• Experience with outreach and development in the non-profit sector will be considered an asset.
• Knowledge of or proven interest in arts and culture or Quebec communities will be considered an asset.
Unfortunately ELAN is not located in a fully accessible building. There is a wide doorway at the front entrance, and five steps in the lobby leading to the elevators. There is a cement ramp at the back entrance which leads to the elevators. There are wheelchair-accessible washrooms on the floor below ELAN’s office. For further information, call 514 935 3312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Deadline: April 20, 2017. Email your CV and a cover letter in Word or PDF to email@example.com
ELAN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and newcomers to Canada). We encourage applicants who consider themselves part of these or other groups who experience marginalization to self-identify in their cover letter if they are comfortable doing so.