This is a permanent, full-time position with a probationary period of 3 months.
Anticipated start date: mid- to late September 2017
Salary: $27,500-30,000 per year commensurate with experience.
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 10 AM to 6 PM (flexible); occasional evening and weekend work is required
Language(s) of work: Excellent oral and written English; intermediate oral and written French; knowledge of additional languages will be considered an asset
Location: #708, 460 Sainte-Catherine Street W., Montreal (near McGill and Place-des-Arts metro stations)
Benefits: paid leave during office closure for 1-2 weeks in December/January, in addition to 10 days’ paid vacation per year; 6 days’ paid sick or personal leave; flexible schedule; professional development support
ELAN (English Language Arts Network) is a non-profit organization devoted to helping Quebec’s English-language artists connect with one another, with their francophone colleagues, and with audiences in Quebec, Canada, and internationally. Our members include artists and organizations representing many artistic disciplines and regions of Quebec. ELAN encourages an evolving Quebec identity that celebrates social, cultural, and artistic diversity.
Over its 13-year existence, ELAN has developed a strong base of members, including professional artists and cultural workers, organizations, students, and friends. ELAN seeks to build on this base by:
• strengthening our member engagement and retention activities;
• developing and improving member services to better respond to the needs of Quebec artists; and
• improving services and outreach to artists who experience marginalization.
With these goals in mind, the Membership Services Coordinator will nourish strong relationships between ELAN and its members, as well as with partners who provide benefits and services to ELAN members. The successful candidate will be encouraged to contribute their ideas and creativity towards this work.
The Membership Services Coordinator will report to ELAN’s Executive Director and work on a day-to-day basis under the supervision of ELAN’s Program Manager. The Membership Services Coordinator will also work closely with ELAN’s Membership and Inclusion Committees, student assistants, and project managers to recruit, engage, and serve a membership base of English-speaking artists of all disciplines and backgrounds in Quebec.
• Communicate with new, renewing, and inactive members on a day-to-day basis.
• Review and update membership systems and materials (welcome letters, reminder emails, manuals, etc.) in conjunction with ELAN’s Communications Plan and Inclusion Plan (to be developed in 2017-18).
• Set membership targets in collaboration with ELAN’s Program Manager and Membership Committee.
• Maintain membership database and records, monitor statistics, and track progress towards goals.
• Research and recommend improvements to membership benefits and services.
• Maintain and develop partnerships with cultural organizations and institutions to recruit new members and/or provide membership benefits and services.
• Develop and implement initiatives to improve membership engagement and retention.
• Develop and implement outreach initiatives to groups that are underrepresented in ELAN’s membership.
• Develop and implement membership recruitment strategies as part of ELAN’s projects.
• Assist in planning events and projects targeted to current and potential ELAN members.
• Participate in hiring of temporary student Membership Assistants and supervision of their work.
• Contribute to grant writing and development of revenue-generating initiatives.
The Membership Services Coordinator will also collaborate with ELAN staff on ongoing communications and outreach campaigns, through digital communications (social media, website, email) and other channels. Research, writing, and communication through email, by phone, in person, and online will be involved.
• Post-secondary education or equivalent experience in arts and cultural management, arts administration, general or fine arts, office administration, communications, social sciences, marketing, or business.
• Excellent oral and written English; intermediate oral and written French.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word), email programs (e.g. Thunderbird), databases.
• Excellent interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
• Patience, warmth, and tact in communications with members and partners.
• Good organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task.
• Resourceful, with creative problem-solving skills, and the capacity to work autonomously.
• Ability to link day-to-day tasks to overarching goals and targets.
• Knowledge of or proven interest in arts and culture or Quebec communities.
• Experience or deep understanding of challenges facing artists who experience marginalization.
• Experience with fundraising, grant writing, and/or development.
• Experience with outreach in the non-profit sector.
• Experience with website design and digital communications.
• Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop Suite, Mailchimp, and/or WordPress.
• Knowledge of languages other than English and French.
We encourage candidates to highlight additional qualifications they feel are relevant to the job description, including non-traditional skills and experience.
Unfortunately ELAN is not located in a fully accessible building. There is a wide doorway at the front entrance, and five steps in the lobby leading to the elevators. There is a cement ramp at the back entrance which leads to the elevators. There are wheelchair-accessible washrooms two floors below ELAN’s office. For further information, call 514 935 3312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Apply by Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
Please email the following materials to Amy Macdonald (Program Manager) at email@example.com:
• CV/Resume in Word or PDF format
• Cover letter in Word or PDF format. In your cover letter, please detail your interest in the position, and highlight your qualifications as they relate to the position.
We appreciate the time and energy candidates put into this process. We will contact all candidates by mid-September to update them on the status of their application.
If you have any questions about your candidacy, or if you would like assistance, please call 514 935 3312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELAN is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and newcomers to Canada), and from all groups who experience marginalization. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter if they are comfortable doing so.