The Canadian Association of Midwives (CAM) believes that midwives play a unique and fundamental role in the provision of quality reproductive, maternal, and newborn health care both in Canada and internationally. We are investing in a world where every girl, woman and newborn will have access to that care – care that can save lives. At CAM, we are a small team of dedicated individuals committed to growing the profession of midwifery in Canada and around the world. We believe that our daily work and overall mission can best be accomplished by collaborating, contributing innovative and new ideas, and maintaining an open, honest and respectful work environment. Our team members have diverse backgrounds and skill sets and contribute to maintaining a positive and inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
The Project Officer will coordinate the implementation, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of CAM’s role in the More and Better Midwives in Rural Tanzania (2016-21) project. The Project Officer will also assist in identifying new opportunities for partnerships in Tanzania under the direction of the Director Global Program.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the recruitment process of midwife consultants and/or volunteers with appropriate skills for the project activities according to established procedures.
- Manage consultants and/or volunteers according to the established policies and practices of the organization.
- Ensure that personnel files are properly maintained and kept confidential.
- Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the project.
- Ensure that all project consultants and/or volunteers going overseas participate and complete CAM’s pre-departure training program.
- Implement the project
- Pro-actively support CAM’s strong partnership with our Tanzanian counterpart, the Tanzania Midwives Association
- Collaborate with relevant partners and with CAM staff to develop annual work plans and budgets for project
- Execute the project according to the project work plan.
- Develop and accurately maintain record keeping to document project activities.
- Monitor the progress of the project and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- Communicate and coordinate activities on a regular basis with project staff located in Tanzania.
- Ensure close collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results as specified in agreements.
- Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards.
- Monitor the project
- Write reports on the project as required and review reports created by the project lead partner
- Coordinate communications between CAM Finance team and partner Finance teams
- Work closely with CAM Finance staff for the monitoring and approval of budgeted project expenditures.
- Collaborate with CAM Finance staff to monitor project expenditure projections and report actual expenditures and variance to the Director on a regular basis.
- Work with Financial staff to ensure all project funds are managed according to established accounting policies and procedures.
- Support Finance staff as needed as they prepare financial reports; assist in providing supporting documentation for funders as outlined in funding agreements.
- Write project activity reports as required by funder and senior management.
- Evaluate the project
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality.
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase.
- Work in collaboration with the Global Program team to develop tools, procedures and systems to support projects.
- Assist with identifying new partnership opportunities for CAM and for TAMA in Tanzania.
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
At CAM, we recognize that experience comes in many forms, and a willingness to learn goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
- University degree in international development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in the international development sector focusing on project administration; work experience in Africa considered a strong asset.
- Strong analytical understanding of and experience in health and/or gender equality and women’s rights in international development; work experience with maternal, newborn and child health programming considered a strong asset.
- In-depth understanding of results-based management.
- Proven experience in the development and application of performance measurement frameworks.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience of donor reporting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Strong analytical and report-writing skills.
- Commitment to gender equality and women’s rights.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to work both in a self-directed manner and collaboratively with other staff and stakeholders.
- Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail and database systems.
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively in a wide range of cultural and political settings.
Working Conditions & Location
- Work done from CAM’s head office in Montréal, Québec.
- Half-time from April 2019 to Spring 2021.
- Must be available to travel to Tanzania as required.
Please follow these instructions:
- Send your CV and a cover letter in one PDF document and ensure that your first and last names and the letters “PO-MBM” are included in the file name. Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
- Send your PDF by email with the subject “Project Officer MBM Application” to email@example.com
- Deadline for applications is 5pm Eastern Time on April 21st, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.