Deadline to apply: Monday, May 6th, 2015 at 5pm
Contract Start Date: Monday, June 1st, 2015
This position is partially funded by the Young Canada Works In Both Official Languages (YCWBOL) program. Candidates must be eligible for YCW positions (full-time students intending to return to school in the fall, not working full-time elsewhere – see www.youngcanadaworks.ca for eligibility details).
School Schmool: An Activist’s Guide to McGill, Concordia, and Montreal
School Schmool is an activist day planner for students at McGill, Concordia, and for the Montreal community. It includes relevant and engaging articles, resources, and practical tools for students and non-students to participate in social and environmental justice organizing, as well as a useful day planner to organize busy academic and activist schedules. School Schmool is a long-time publication of QPIRG-McGill and QPIRG Concordia.
PLEASE NOTE: Two coordinators will be hired – one QPIRG McGill-focused coordinator and one QPIRG Concordia-focused coordinator. Please state for which position you are applying based on your knowledge and experience with either of the organizations or their communities.
* Working with the staff and Board of both PIRGs to choose themes, vision and plan for the 2015-2016 agenda
* Liaising with campus groups, QPIRG working groups, and community groups to promote participation in the publication and expand the resource database in the agenda
* Soliciting articles, art and other contributions from individuals and organizations
* Developing and supporting a volunteer committee of writers, editors and artists
* Collecting, selecting, and assembling content into publication format, using desktop-publishing and website-publishing software (Indesign, Photoshop and WordPress)
* Working closely with the printing company on the layout and printing of School Schmool
* Raising funds from campus organizations for publication and distribution costs
* Meeting QPIRG Concordia and QPIRG-McGill’s mandates to create campus-community links at Concordia and McGill universities
* Developing a web component of School Schmool to digitally archive the project
* Meeting with a staff liaison and/or QPIRG board member to give updates on the progress of the project/get support at least once per month through the duration of the summer
* Giving at least two reports to the QPIRG boards through the summer
* Producing a final written report of the project giving a summary and evaluation of the project
*Attending the Annual General Meetings of each PIRG to present this report to the membership
* Developing and implementing an outreach and distribution strategy for the planner on and around campus
*Helping to organize final launch parties, if they occur
* a demonstrated commitment to social and environmental change
* project and volunteer coordination experience
* writing and editing skills
* ability to work collaboratively and by consensus
* familiarity with desktop publishing applications (ex. InDesign, Photoshop)
* familiarity with website publishing applications (ex. WordPress)
* artistic design and layout skills
* experience in fundraising
* knowledge of social and environmental justice organizations in Montreal
* fluency in English (oral and written)
* ability to work in French (oral)
* familiarity with QPIRG Concordia and the Concordia campus and/or QPIRG-McGill and the McGill campus
fluency in French (written)
This is an 11 weeks contract to start on June 1st, 2015. Wage: salary and hours to
be discussed, please call for more information!
Due to criteria imposed by funding from a federal grant, Canadian out-of
province students, and/or Anglophone students whose province of residence is not Quebec but who are presently studying in Quebec, and who are returning to school full-time in September 2015, will be prioritized for one of the positions. In your cover letter, please indicate if you are eligible.
Please submit a CV and cover letter by 5pm on Wednesday, May 6th 2015
– via email to “email@example.com” (please indicate clearly in the subject line which position you are applying to)
– dropped off in person at the QPIRG Concordia office during office hours (Monday to Thursday, 12-6pm): 1500 de Maisonneuve Ouest, suite 204 (corner of Mackay – please note the QPIRG is a scent-free and wheelchair accessible space).
– sent by mail to: QPIRG Concordia, c/o Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve Ouest, Montreal, QC, H3G 1M8 (it must arrive before the deadline).
Should you have a potential co-coordinator in mind who is also applying and with whom you would ideally want to work, feel free to mention this in your cover letter. However, we cannot guarantee that both of you will be hired.
QPIRG Concordia and QPIRG McGill have an employment equity policy in effect. People from marginalized communities, including women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities, people with disabilities, Deaf people, gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, two-spirited people, transgendered and transsexual people, and working class people are especially encouraged to apply. If you would like to be considered for employment equity please indicate this on your cover letter by including the statement “I would like to be considered for employment equity.” No further elaboration is necessary, but you are free to add more information if you would like.
Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by the hiring committee.