02. Contemplating 400 years of inequity : Tools to facilitate group conversations on structural inequity and social justice.
Contemplating 400 years of inequity : Tools to facilitate group conversations on structural inequity and social justice.
::: L’atelier se déroulera en anglais sur Zoom / This workshop will be facilitated in English and on Zoom. :::
How can we have conversations about structural inequalities, historical literacy, community resilience and social justice? How to guide our communities through a careful dialogue about our past in order to generate healing and restoration ?
Participants were invited to visit the 400 Years of Inequality timeline as a contemplative tool for deepening conversations about structural inequality, historical literacy, community resiliency and social justice. The core of this experience is a combination of contemplative practices with the exploration of the timeline, which allows participants to learn how to re-imagine how we can both transcend implicit bias and develop a more compassionate society.
Participants left with a better understanding of foundational research, core practices, be given access to an online community, a physical timeline printing instructions, a digital access to the timeline, and tools for facilitating the timeline virtually in your own context and realities.
This workshop is inspired by the 400 years of inequality project. Maria Tan, will accompany and invite the participants to listen and review the history, become aware of our implicit prejudices and discuss them with a variety of actors.
- Contemplative Practice
- Exploring the 400 Years of Inequality Timeline
- Contemplative Journaling
- Breakout room discussions
- Restorative Circle
Concepts & themes explored during training:
- Intergenerational healing & trauma
- Trauma-informed care
- Persistent Traumatic Environments
- Post-Traumatic Growth
- Embodied Social Justice
- Interpersonal Neurobiology
- Critical Mindfulness
- Cognitive Dissonance
- Ecology of Inequality
Additional benefits of this training include:
- Become a stronger facilitator of group conversations on equity-centered topics
- Deepen your sense of presence when it comes to holding space for others
- Explore structural violence and inequality in a safe and brave space
- Learn and connect with like-minded colleagues
- Join a community of dedicated practitioners, educators, social works, DE&I consultants and more
- Explore the healing-centered paradigm in educational research and practice
- Gain insights on the growing field of embodied social justice
- Accrue a variety of resources to expand your understanding
Ateliers/C is a series of learning moments for organizations supported by Centraide of Greater Montreal, a space to meet and learn from each other.
Ateliers/C wishes to create spaces for training and discussion, each time on a different theme. These moments are meant to be an opportunity to present new ideas, strategies and inspiring tools… And above all to offer a space to meet and share knowledge.
These moments are offered free of charge to the network of organizations funded by Centraide of Greater Montreal and members of the COCo network. ateliers/C is an initiative of Centraide of Greater Montreal produced in partnership with the Centre des Organismes Communautaires (COCo).
Maria Tan is the founder and director of House of Thriving who which empowers leaders across education, the arts, and corporations to thrive authentically and powerfully for those they serve. She led a school-wide shift towards equitable practices that incorporated restorative circles, racial affinity groups, and trauma-informed mindfulness, reaching hundreds of adults and students. Through House of Thriving, she designs and facilitates workshops, courses, and community building experiences focused on mindfulness, social emotional learning, and collective healing as cornerstones of thriving. Maria’s restorative and contemplative approach equips others with the critical skills and tools to cultivate critical reflection and reconnect to their inner sense of wholeness.