Legal Info for Community Groups
At COCo, we know that community groups need to have access to many types of legal information, ranging from our responsibilities as employers or board members to what papers we need to file each year.
In response to these needs, COCo has developed its legal information services, which are especially adapted to the COCo philosopy and mandate: we work to inform and empower community groups! Our goal is to make legal information resources accessible to your group so that you can make informed decisions that improve the health of your organization.
Our Limitations: We Can’t Provide Legal Advice – COCo staff are facilitators, trainers and coaches, but we are not lawyers. We will not provide you with legal advice and we will not tell you what to do. We can, however, give you information and resources. If you do need legal advice, COCo can refer you to lawyers who specialize in non-profit and charity law.
Typically, we provide legal information and resources about these topics:
- Board Responsibilities
- Employer and Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Annual and Special General Meeting
- Applying for and Maintaining Charitable Status
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
If you don’t see what you need on this list, get in touch, we may still have some information resources for you!
You can get legal information for your community group in three ways:
1) Legal Info-Sheets: Read about it! COCo continuously develops legal info-sheets on popular legal topics. Our info-sheets are available for free either on our website or in our office. Please review them before getting in touch for a one-on-one information sessions – you may find that your question is already answered in an info-sheet.
2) Info-COCo Sessions: Contact us! COCo is always available to help you get the information you need to continue to do your work. You can get in touch by phone or email with any question. Info-COCo Sessions are free though if you need legal information support over a longer period of time, we may set up a small contract with you, with fees on a sliding scale according to your budget.
3) Workshops: COCo can provide workshops on various topics for your community group. Many of our workshops include legal information. The fees for our workshops are based on a sliding scale, according to your group’s budget. Get in touch with us for more information.